UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson Warns Many Families Will Lose Loved Ones

The latest in COVID-19

Created with Sketch.

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson Warns Many Families Will Lose Loved Ones


Quick Take

  • El Salvador President Nayib Bukele declares a national quarantine, despite no cases in the country.
  • Coronavirus claims the lives of over 1,000 people in Italy, 188 deaths happening in just 24 hours time.
  • A Brazilian press secretary tests positive for coronavirus just days after meeting Trump.
  • China says the coronavirus peak may be over in the country as cases drop to single-digits in Wuhan. 
  • UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson warns many families will lose loved ones.

Subscribe to our newsletter 👉 here.

Up To 10,000 Infected People In UK

590 people have tested positive in the UK, but the UK Government’s chief scientific advisor says the number of people infected at the moment could be as high as 10,000. UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson has called coronavirus the worst public health crisis for a generation and warns many families will lose loved ones.

El Salvador President Declares National Quarantine

El Salvador President Nayib Bukele has declared a national quarantine, closing schools for three weeks, banning gatherings of more than 500 people, barring foreigners from entering the country and imposing a 30-day quarantine on Salvadorans entering from abroad.

The president stated “I know this will be criticized, but let’s put ourselves in Italy’s shoes. Italy wishes they could’ve done this before,” Public health analysts have warned that poor and marginalized people are at heightened risk as the virus spreads, as nearly a third of El Salvador’s population lives in poverty.

Previously, Presidente Bukele banned visitors from China, South Korea, Italy, Iran, France, and Spain. He also brought in new equipment to check the temperatures of incoming passengers and sanitized the international airport. The country has since reported zero coronavirus cases.

Coronavirus Deaths In Italy Surpass 1,000

Coronavirus has claimed the lives of over 1,000 people in Italy, 188 deaths happening in just 24 hours time. Foreign Minister Luigi Di Maio says he hopes his country will be the first in Europe to get over the emergency. Di Maio believes the lockdown imposed in northern Italy was proving effective. He said they had no new infections in that area over the last day.

Italy’s total number of infections has risen to 15,113. Civil protection officials say 1,258 people have recovered, although the number of cases has gone up by 2,651 since Wednesday. Movement in the country has been limited to urgent medical or professional needs. Shops, venues, and schools remain closed in the countries. Italy is the world’s worst-hit country after China.

Brazilian Official That Met Trump Tested Positive

Fábio Wajngarten, the communications director for Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro, has tested positive for the coronavirus. The official met with President Trump at the Mar-a-Lago resort in Palm Beach, Florida last weekend. The official posted a photo of himself on Instagram standing directly next to Trump.

Trump has since said he is not concerned about the case. White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham later stated that both the President and Vice President do not require being tested at this time. She added the exposures from the case are being assessed, which will dictate next steps.

Florida Sen. Rick Scott, who was also at the event, said that he has decided to self-quarantine due to possible contact with the official. He said that while he does not believe he interacted with him, they were in the same room.

China Claims Coronavirus Peak

China has said that the coronavirus peak may be over in the country as cases drop to single-digits in Wuhan. China has also shut down all 16 temporary coronavirus hospitals in Wuhan. The Chinese government’s senior medical adviser, Zhong Nanshan, said the crisis could be over by mid-year if all countries could get mobilized, but will last longer if some countries do not treat the virus seriously and intervene strongly.

Disneyland Closes California Parks

Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure Park will close on Saturday, March 14th until the end of March. The move comes after California officials advised that gatherings of more than 250 people should be postponed in order to stop the spread of the virus, a practice known as social-distancing. This marks the fourth time in history that Disneyland closes its gates. The other three times were after President John F. Kennedy’s assassination, the devastating Northridge earthquake in 1994, and the Sept. 11 attacks.